Friday, April 23, 2010

Cover your ears for these cover tunes

ROUTE 1 strives to promote the importance of originality, but we realize some imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (which reminds us: Why hasn't any wannabe created a "Route 2" blog yet?)
Of course, some imitation is the sincerest form of astonishing unoriginality, which leads us to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"Are there any cover versions of songs that should not have been made?"

MARY N.-P. -- Well just about everything that Pat Boone covered, especially bluesy, R&B songs which he somehow managed to suck all the life out of and croon them to death...

JOHN S. -- Anything that an American Idol contestant tries to slow down and do acoustically!!!

DAVE B. -- Carrie Underwood mutilating Motley Crews - Home Sweet Home. I didn't know Vince Neil was in need of partying money for the week. That is the only reason I can think of why he would let Carrie Underwood sing that song.

JIM S. -- I searched to find these, but they're so awful, it is worth publishing on Route 1: "You Shook Me All Night Long," by Celine Dion & Anastasia; "American Pie," by Madonna; "Satisfaction," by Britney Spears; and "Dock of the Bay," by Michael Bolton (perhaps my least favorite singer of all time). Here's one that many would say shouldn't have been made in the first place, but I liked the original a lot: "I Think I Love You," by the Partridge Family was covered by Andy Williams ... ouch!

STACEY B. -- Faith Hill should have NEVER covered Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart," which was originally recorded by Emma Franklin.

ERIK H. -- I had the grand misfortune of hearing The Saturdays' cover of the Depeche Mode classic, "Just Can't Get Enough" the other day. I realize the song was released as a charity single, so some good presumably did come from it. Artistically, though, the all-girl group did nothing to contribute to the song's legacy. They all look hot in the music video, mind you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home