Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Samantha Fox doesn't like The Fall... or The Smiths

One of the many powers of books is the ability to lead us away from dreary, daily reality.
A personnel development at work (not involving me) has cast a sudden pall on the week, so I am thankful I can find some solace in the pages of "RENEGADE: THE LIVES AND TALES OF MARK E. SMITH," a rather rambling, book-long rant by the leader of THE FALL.
If anyone is worthy of a book-long rant, it is the acerbic Smith.

Here is a portion of his book I read yesterday, complete with a magazine review of a Fall single by pinup/"singer" SAMANTHA FOX (pictured).

Smash Hits did give us one of my favourite reviews.

Singles reviewed by Samantha Fox (1986) The Fall: Living Too Late (Beggars Banquet)

I didn't like this at all -- it's really crappy. He sounds like he's been having yodelling lessons. It seems to be the fashion of the moment to like The Smiths and these sorts of groups, and to me the lyrics are really depressing. I heard one the other day while I was in Kensington Market trying on some jeans and it gave me a headache. The Smiths, it was. Singing 'Oh my God, I can't get a job, what am I going to do?' As for this song, I listened to the first half and I had to turn it off. My mother was in the other room and she shouted, 'Nah, I don't like that one -- get it off!'

That's as good as it got inside Smash Hits: Page 3 birds airing their views. I think it's great, actually -- better than being harangued by Tony Parsons and Julie Burchill.