Friday, February 12, 2010

Desert island tip No. 1: Books, yes. Alarm clock, no.

Hello and welcome to the tried and trusted STRANDED ON A DESERT ISLAND theme (as opposed to the far-less healthy, "stranded on a dessert island theme").
I can tell you what I wouldn't want with me on a desert island -- my alarm clock, which went off today even though I am off work (something about having to help the girls get up for school).

I would like to read if I was stuck on that island, as would other ROUTE 1 readers, based on answers to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"What book would you want on a desert island?"

STEVE M. -- Like the English Patient: "The Histories by Herodotus." A very soothing story about ancient history and travels, like an uncle telling you cool stories.

BEKAH P. -- How can you choose only one? I guess, if forced to pick, I'd go with "Outlander." It's a 1,000+ page smutty romance/adventure about a World War II nurse who accidentally travels back in time to Scotland during the height of the clan wars. Absolutely bloody brilliant reading! I never seem to get sick of it.

KERSTIN H. -- "Twilight." Duh.

MIKE M. -- I'd prefer an unlimited supply of blank paper, pencils and ink pens, but I'd take the final edition of "Passport to World Band Radio" if I could also take my Grundig Yacht Boy.

JOHN S. -- "Selkirk's Island."

SANDYE V. -- A big one with blank pages. And a couple of pens.

RICK T. -- "How to Survive!"

KERI M. -- "Eat, Pray, Love."

JIM S. -- Well, of course, the Bible. If not that, then a dictionary. If that also doesn't count, I'd want "War and Peace," something that will last a while.

MIKE D. -- Probably a recipe book. Or a collection of "Far Side" cartoons. Or maybe "The Compleat Angler" by Isaac Walton, which might provide some insight on survival. It might not make my list of island reading material, but my son has been reading a book called "Frindle," which is the best kid's story that I've seen in a long time.
ERIK H. -- "The Sunday Times Illustrated History of Football" wouldn't help me catch a wild island pig and eat it, but its numerous details about the game I love the most would help take my mind off my inability to open a coconut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home