Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New (wet) face in hell

I had the kind of day when you're cleaning your bathroom, the sink's HOT WATER FAUCET comes off in your hand and WATER SPURTS like a geyser onto the bathroom light, which begins to smoke.
Literally, that's what happened to me about an hour ago.
I had to race down the stairs to the basement and shut off the water, then push the faucet back down into place.
MARK E. SMITH tends to sing about days like that in his role as leader of THE FALL.
I am reading what passes for his autobiography ("RENEGADE") and listened to one of my favorite albums by the band, "GROTESQUE (AFTER THE GRAMME)" while driving around today.
Like many Fall fans, I peg this 1980 gem among the band's top albums, along with "Hex Enduction Hour" and "This Nation's Saving Grace."
"New Face in Hell," "English Scheme" and the marvelous "Container Drivers" are among the should-have-been hits on "Grotesque."
Here is what Smith had to say about the album in "Renegade:" "They wanted a more commercial style record and I handed them 'Grotesque.' Stuff like 'Container Drivers' and 'Pay Your Rates' was very unusual in those days. Groups didn't record rockabilly country and western songs about these subjects."
"Pay your rates, pay your water rates," Smith sings on "Pay Your Rates." "If your rate's too high, write a snotty letter."
I hear that song, and I think of water gushing all over my bathroom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

You have to go over and visit Fredorrarci at Sport Is A TV Show.
I've switched him on to The Fall and to Half Man Half Biscuit...
Plus he does some decent writing too. Sport included.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home