Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Every time I look around, it's in my face."

Sure, PAULY FUEMANA was a one-hit wonder, but what a hit that wonder was.
As the frontman for NEW ZEALAND duo OMC (OTARA MILLIONAIRES CLUB), Fuemana shot to fame with the 1995 single "HOW BIZARRE."

"How bizarre. Ooh baby, (ooh baby). It's making me crazy, (it's making me crazy). Every time I look around, look around, every time I look around, every time I look around, every time I look around, it's in my face."

The single reached No. 1 in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and parts of Europe. It peaked at No. 5 in Britain and No. 4 on Billboard's Hot Airplay chart in America. "How Bizarre" remains in the playlists of radio stations to this day.

The band then sold up to four million copies of their album, also titled "How Bizarre," making it New Zealand's biggest-selling record.

I have listened to "How Bizarre" (and follow-up Kiwi single "On the Run") several times since learning of Fuemana's death, at age 40 following a short illness at North Shore Hospital near Auckland.

Of half-Niuean and half-Maori descent, Fuemana formed OMC with producer Alan Jansson. The duo broke up in 2000 but reformed in 2007 to continue making music in New Zealand.

When I learned of Fuemana's death last night, I thought that although not many people would remember the name, they probably can't forget the song.

That's surely what a performer would wish for all along.

"Want to know the rest? Hey, buy the rights. How bizarre."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home