Friday, January 29, 2010

I would have gone to ROCK ROCK ROCK 'N' ROLL high school

Senior ROUTE 1 editorial assistant KERSTIN confidently and eagerly walked the halls and met with student government members during an OPEN HOUSE AT THE HIGH SCHOOL with her parents this week.
Her nervous parents -- including yours truly -- got lost in the labyrinthine halls and wondered how we could ever survive high school if given the second chance.

Which leads us to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"Is there anything you would change about your high school days?"

RICK T. -- Yes, I'd of paid more attention to school work!

SASKIA M. -- I've been thinking a lot about this week's question -- but keep coming up with the same answer: nope!

BEKAH P. -- Absolutely everything. I switched from a very private, religious school to a large, public school in the middle of my sophomore year. Needless to say, this didn't make me popular. I wish now that then I had not cared so much about what people had thought and had just went about being myself. I think it would have made things better, actually.

JOHN S. -- I would have hung out with my younger brother more.

BRIAN M. -- I would have lived with the belief and the knowledge that none of "this" matters, that the bulk of my life is forthcoming. Knowing that, I would been more confident and worried far less about what people thought about me. Also, I might have tried playing football, and I might have taken more challenges academically, instead of worrying about my GPA.

LISA Y. -- Does "just about everything" cover it?

JEFF T. -- I would have talked to girls.

KERI M. -- Maybe make me a little bit cooler.

MIKE D. -- I don't have any big regrets -- I didn't mind playing the role of the shy, scrawny, nerdy math/art geek and, as they say, I turned out just fine. But now that you mention it, I would like to slug Rich P., the kid who, for no apparent reason, assaulted me a couple of times during freshman year.

MARY N.-P. -- I would have treasured those years more -- a small private girls' academy in Boulder, Colo. with girls from all over and a bunch of cool (and a few weird) nuns just blocks from the U of C campus in the 60s - WHEW!

JIM S. -- Of course. But if I were to change the things I did wrong or the bad decisions I made, I likely would have just prolonged my growth into maturity. Still, the ONE thing I would have changed would be to have washed my thick hair just a little bit better that one morning when a "friend" gave me the nickname "Oily." It stuck until I moved out of my hometown.

ERIK H. -- I wish I would have joined the debate team. I have never felt comfortable speaking before more than one or two people, and I think the debate team would have forced me to speak more confidently while helping me organize my thoughts.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I would've had the courage to wear parachute pants. I always stuck to the preppy look.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home