Monday, February 15, 2010

"My Sharona" creator dies

"We had to, didn't we," British Radio 2 DJ CHRIS EVANS said this morning, as he introduced "MY SHARONA" by THE KNACK.
Yes, they did.

American singer-songwriter DOUG FIEGER died yesterday, age 57 of cancer.

Fieger's place in pop history is assured, having co-written "My Sharona" for his band, The Knack, along with guitarist Berton Averre.

The 1979 single reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, remaining for six weeks and dominating radio playlists at the time.

I've heard the song countless times. It remains an iconic slice of pop.

Interestingly, Fieger's brother later made headlines for his work in the courts. Geoffrey Fieger was the Michigan attorney who represented "assisted suicide" physician Dr. Jack Kevorkian.

I'll probably hear "My Sharona" several times today, as music fans pay tribute to its creator.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That song brings back memories. I remember first being told about the cover, then the tune. Another memory-creator passes.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home