Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Grant Green isn't underrated in my book

It's one of those things that continually irks me.
GRANT GREEN has a one-paragraph entry in my edition of "THE ROUGH GUIDE TO JAZZ."
That makes the jazz guitarist criminally underrated in my book. He is one of my favorite musicians.
I have been listening to several of Green's albums from the 1960s the past couple days.
Green specialized in single-note playing, rather than chords, a technique that set him apart from many of his contemporaries.
Maybe he wasn't as gifted an improviser as other players, but he surely rivaled anyone for expressiveness.
After a two-story day at the office, I will be ready for some relaxation tonight.
I'll turn back to my Green CDs. He's not underrated to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home