Sunday, June 07, 2009

Mum-mum-mum-mah Auto-tune

Give Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta some credit.
As LADY GAGA, she has created both a song I love ("POKER FACE" -- "mum-mum-mum-mah poker face") and a song I absolutely loathe ("LOVEGAME" -- "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick").
Lady Gaga can certainly pen a catchy tune -- her career began writing songs for the likes of Pussycat Dolls, Fergie and Britney Spears.
I can't help but wonder, however, if she would still succeed as a singer in a world without AUTO-TUNE TECHNOLOGY.
Created by Antares Audio Technologies, Auto-Tune technology has become the crucial crutch propping up a clutch of current pop songs. The technology uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances.
"Invented to digitally enhance bad vocals, Auto-tune can take a bum note and transpose it to the exact point of where it is supposed to be on the musical scale," Neil McCormick wrote in Britain's DAILY TELEGRAPH.
One result, McCormick writes "is to reduce the human quality of the voice, ensuring it sounds (as indeed it is) digitally enhanced."
McCormick singles out Lady Gaga as an artist whose singles have been "auto-tuned to the hilt."
As I listen to Lady Gaga, I can't help but feel the same way as when I watched BARRY BONDS hit home runs. Is there some performance-enhancing going on here? Doesn't that cheapen the experience?