Thursday, June 04, 2009

A good day for The Plugz and "Repo Man"

"You like music? Listen to this. I was into these dudes before anyone. Wanted me to be their manager. I called bullshit on that. Managing a pop group is no job for a man."
-- Lite in "Repo Man."
Whenever I drove anywhere yesterday, THE PLUGZ were blaring from my car stereo speakers.
The day just seemed tailored for one of the earliest of the CHICANO PUNK BANDS.
The Plugz also earned some distinction for contributing a trio of songs to the soundtrack for "REPO MAN," so
I watched that classic ALEX COX film again last night (for what seems like the 75th time or so).
The first Plugz' song included is "El Clavo y la Cruz," which is played as Otto unknowingly "rips" his first car as a "favor" to Bud.
They also perform "Reel Ten" and a Spanish-language version of Johnny Rivers' "Secret Agent Man."
One of the (many) things I love about "Repo Man" is that music is never far from the surface -- the Circle Jerks crooning away as a lounge act and scooter-riding Untouchables beating up Otto being only two examples.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home