Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"I don't care how cute he is, Holly, he's still a dinosaur"

Thanks to HULU.com, I just watched the first episode of the inaugural, 1974 season of "LAND OF THE LOST," a Sid and Marty Krofft children's television series broadcast on NBC.
I watched the show religiously as a kid.
The Marshall family, dad Rick (Spencer Milligan), son Will (Wesley Eure -- later the co-developer of the PBS series, "Dragon Tales") and daughter Holly (Kathy Coleman) are on a "routine expedition" rafting down a massive canyon when a hole opens and their raft plunges down an endless waterfall.
The trio awaken in a strange land inhabited by dinosaurs, the primitive Pakuni people and the villains of the piece, the human-like lizard beings the SLEESTAK.
I remember being simply enthralled by this show as a kid.
Watching it now, I wince and shake my head at the "special" effects.
Still, it sure seems to have a more compelling plot than half the shows currently on television -- for adults or children.
Besides, I much rather watch dinosaurs chase some campers around a jungle than JON AND KATE PLUS 8.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home