Thursday, May 28, 2009

Copa, Liga Y Champions... y Health Briefs

"El equipo de Pep Guardiola conquista la Champions League tras vencer al Manchester United en el estadio Olímpico de Roma por 2 a 0, con goles de Eto'o y Leo Messi."
I am reading Spanish media reports of last night's CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL online this morning.
Well, since I don't read Spanish all that well, "reading" perhaps isn't the right word. Luckily, the cliché is true: Football is a universal language, so I can figure out much of what the commentators mean when they remark on Barça's victory.
"El mejor Barça de la historia se ha proclamado tres temporadas después campeón de la Champions League tras derrotar al Manchester United por 2-0 en el Estadio Olímpico de Roma. Los de Pep Guardiola superaron en todas las facetas y durante todo el encuentro a sus rivales y cierran una temporada histórica, tras haber conseguido también la Copa del Rey y la Liga."
That is something in LA VANGUARDIA (a Catalan newspaper) about BARCELONA winning the club's third European Cup. The Catalan giants also won the Spanish league and the Spanish cup this season.
I caught bits and pieces of last night's match (played in the afternoon by our clock) on one of the six newsroom television sets. Was the game a distraction for me? Heck no. All those HEALTH BRIEFS I had to write were distracting me from the match (rim-shot, wait for laughter to subside, continue).
Once I arrived home, I was able to see a replay of the entire second half from the comfort of my armchair (with no health briefs to bother me).
Obviously, Barça looked great. However, I also thought the defensive marking by MANCHESTER UNITED seemed far short of the club's usual high standard.
Barça truly deserved the title.
Football's grand finale (for my purposes) comes Saturday, when CHELSEA and EVERTON square off in the FA CUP FINAL. I'll be watching. Health briefs not included.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home