Sunday, May 31, 2009

Head banging and a sunburned head

I am a little SUNBURNED today, and the compilation album, "NEW WAVE OF BRITISH HEAVY METAL: '79 REVISITED" is partly to blame.
Compiled by by Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich and former Sounds and Kerrang! editor Geoff Barton, this two-disc collection of BRITISH METAL includes names everyone knows (Iron Maiden and Def Leppard), names everyone should know (Saxon, Diamond Head, Venom, Samson and my personal favorites, Tygers of Pan Tang) and names generally lost to hard rock obscurity (Sweet Savage? Holocaust? White Spirit?).
I found the whole endeavor fascinating.
One of the complaints (sadly often justified) against heavy metal is the similar nature of the songs (so many of them sound so much alike!). This great collection of tunes bypasses that problem. Every one of these tunes stands out against the rest.
I was so caught up in the songs that I lost track of how much time I was spending in the sun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home