Sunday, June 28, 2009

Here I go, enabling the San Francisco Giants' emotional terrorism... again

Somebody once said "baseball is a funny game," and they were right. Baseball fans can be a fairly funny lot, too... but not funny "ha-ha," more along the lines of funny "why on earth do I always put myself through this crap?" That kind of funny.
I had all but sworn off my LIFELONG ALLEGIANCE to the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS last night, after a bitter loss in which the team failed to hold leads of 4-0 and 6-4 to the MILWAUKEE BREWERS, eventually losing, 7-6.
Worse than the score or the manner of losing, was the reality that I would be surrounded by about 43,390 GLOATING BREWERS FANS at today's game with the Giants -- a game I attended with my father-in-law, the Brewers-loving MARK.
Well, thanks to a kid pitcher called up from the minors (RYAN SADOWSKI), a guy from Reno hitting in the unfamiliar cleanup spot (NATE SCHIERHOLTZ) and a steady but rather unremarkable second baseman slugging his first big-league homer (MATT DOWNS), I not only avoided any Brewer-related gloating, but I actually witnessed a Giants' 7-0 victory (a rare occurrence indeed for me) and -- AND -- had my love affair restored with my chronically underachieving and/or flattering to device favorite baseball team.
Yep. Baseball is a funny game.
Here are some details:
ME: Sec. 119, Row 5, Seat 7 (just up from home plate, ooh la la!). I also kept score, so only my forearms are sunburned.
SADOWSKI: 6 IP 4 0 R 0 ER 3 BB 2 SO. He was the winning pitcher and he collected his first big-league hit -- a two-out single in the fourth inning.
SCHIERHOLTZ: Tied his career high with four hits, including a solo home run in the ninth.
DOWNS (pictured): Slugged his first big-league homer, a solo shot leading off the sixth.
I don't have much more to report -- I am rather tired from driving -- except to say that I LOVE THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS!!!!!
Even though it goes against my better judgment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home