Thursday, June 25, 2009

Sobriety: The missing ingredient in "Withnail and I"

I laughed until I had tears in my eyes while watching Bruce Robinson's 1986 British film "WITHNAIL AND I" last night on DVD.
The film follows the exploits of two struggling, unemployed actors, the alcoholic Withnail (RICHARD E. GRANT) and his anxiety prone flatmate (PAUL McGANN), the nameless narrator who serves as the "I" in the film's title.
The pair eke out a rather starved existence in an absolutely squalid flat in London in 1969.
"How can it be so cold in here? It's like Greenland in here," Withnail says. "We've got to get some booze. It's the only solution to this intense cold. Something's got to be done. We can't go on like this. I'm a trained actor reduced to the status of a bum. I mean look at us! Nothing that reasonable members of society demand as their rights! No fridges, no televisions, no phones. Much more of this and I'm going to apply for meals on wheels."
Deciding a holiday would do them both some good, the pair borrow the key to a country cottage belonging to Withnail's flamboyantly homosexual Uncle Monty (RICHARD GRIFFITHS -- you might recognize him as Uncle Vernon Dursley from the "Harry Potter" films).
The actors' introduction to rural life does not go exactly as planned, leading to many hilarious situations -- including growing fear over a local, possibly mad poacher.
"This place has become impossible," Withnail says. "Nothing to eat, freezing cold and now a madman on the prowl outside with eels."
The film is fun on many levels. It has also become a sport among some liver-punishing film buffs to keep up with the amount of alcohol consumed by Withnail. I would find it impossible:
Withnail is shown drinking roughly 9-1/2 glasses of red wine, half a pint of cider, one shot of lighter fluid (the film crew secretly substituted vinegar -- pictured above), 2-1/2 shots of gin, six glasses of sherry, 13 glasses of whiskey and half a pint of ale.
I simply sipped a glass of red wine while watching the film and laughing last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home