Saturday, June 27, 2009

Missing "Swells," enjoying my "punk rock for yuppies"

STEVEN WELLS, the brilliant, iconoclastic British music and sports journalist, died this week after a cancer battle. He was 49 and I already miss him terribly.
"Swells," as he was known, could consistently make me laugh with his writings.
Check out his celebration of the death of the indie mags (click here) to see what I mean.
I didn't always agree with his opinions, however. Case in point: The PIXIES.
Wells dismissed the Pixies as "PUNK ROCK FOR YUPPIES."
"This is not just a matter of 'taste,'" Wells wrote. "Here’s the proof. Hum me a f***ing Pixies tune. Go on. You f***ing can’t, can you? That’s because The Pixies were actually incapable of writing songs (per se). So instead they churned out entire albums of vaguely song-sounding cred-muzak. Music so white it was practically transparent."
Sorry Swells, but I am actually humming "WAVE OF MUTILATION" as I type.
I have been listening to the Pixies all week -- a rarity, given my short musical attention span -- because I am reading "DOOLITTLE," the 120-page treatise on the Pixies' album of the same name by BEN SISARIO.
Sisario shares my opinion of the band:
"The archetypal college band, they were a not-quite-next-big-thing who played sold-out gigs everywhere they went and were festooned with critical praise, but were aborted while still young and still far from the top of the charts. Then a weird thing happened. Throughout the 1990s, their posthumous legend grew and grew, and they emerged as one of the most admired and name-checked bands of the decade of alternative rock."
Back to Swells, who thought otherwise:
"There is a disease out there that afflicts most humans eventually. It is called nostalgia. It has destroyed more cultures than war, the Black Death and alien invasion combined. EVERY generation ALWAYS bangs on about how fantastic things were back in the day. Now that’s OK. If by “back in the day” you mean the wide-eyed anything-is-possibilist flower pop of the 60s. Or the metal/dub/disco/punk pop of the 70’s. Or you were listening to great SAW-style proper pop music in the 1980’s. Or extreme death metal or mentalist rap or nutto-gabba or Metallica or Nirvana or 2 Unlimited in the 1990’s. But otherwise, f*** off, sucko! If you seriously think the world was a nicer/warmer/safer/friendlier/sexier/more musically vibrant place 10/20/30 years ago then you are a fool afloat on an ocean of pathetic self-delusion. Now is where it’s at. Now and the history it took to get us here. And if you disagree then that’s cool. And I’ll leave you with your rickets, your internal parasites, your comfort blanket and your lovely old Pixies CDs . You’re slowing us down, man."
No one could ever slow down Steven Wells and his acerbic style and bedrock opinions, which is why I will miss him. And, like my "lovely old Pixies CDs," I expect I will one day become nostalgic about Swells. Even if I am slowing us all down. Man.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Great stuff Erik, always a good read.

Sad about Swells, couldn't contain my laughter when reading some of his articles.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home