Friday, May 08, 2009

Made in the Shade: FRIDAY QUESTION Guide to Summer Reading

Hot days in the shade just seem made for reading.
ROUTE 1 readers provide a guide by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your ideal book for summer reading?"
KERI M. -- "An Extra Half An Inch" by Victoria Beckham.
RICK T. -- Travel brochures and maps. I love to travel in the summer.
ELLEN B. -- I'm going to try and read the "Twilight" series this summer!
LAURA C. -- "High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby...or, if I've got long lazy days and a balcony overlooking the sea, "All the Pretty Horses," by Cormac McCarthy.
JIM S. -- Erik pointed out the death of baseball player Dominic DiMaggio, which inspired me to suggest a great summer book. It's called "The Teammates: A Portrait in Friendship," by David Halberstam. In it, an aged DiMaggio, Bobby Doerr and Johnny Pesky take a road-trip to visit their old teammate, Ted Williams, who is dying in Florida. The lifelong friendship of these close teammates is visited through flashbacks and the present. Wonderful book. I'm going to read it again, now!

ROSEANNE H. -- Nelson DeMille's "Wild Fire"...but it won't take all summer -- more like 2 days. It is one of the "can't put down" books.
MIKE M. -- I'm thinking about starting David Tod Roy's translation of "The Plum in the Golden Vase, or Chin P'ing Mei," an anonymous sixteenth-century Chinese novel known primarily for its erotic realism, but only three of a projected five volumes have been published.
BEKAH P. -- Once a year, I crack open that terrific tome of the South -- "Gone With the Wind." I read it for the first time in seventh grade, and I have not missed my annual revisit to Tara since. Spring is usually when this venture takes place.
But for those not interested in such an epic, a new favorite of mine is "Water for Elephants." Focused on circus life, this is the easiest entertainment ever.
MIKE D. -- The Bass Pro 2009 fishing catalog.
MARY N.-P. -- A memoir about the early years in someone's life who grew up when I did (1950s and 60s) - the wilder and stranger the better...
LISA Y. -- My first book will be: "Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart Ass Phase" by Jen Lancaster. I've loved her humor in her first three books.
ERIK H. -- Sean Condon's memoir of a 14,000-kilometer trek across Australia, "Sean & David's Long Drive," is full of hot, dry landscapes and laugh-out-loud humor. It's perfect for summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home