Sunday, May 03, 2009

Derby Della Lanterna for my birthday!

Three red cards... 10 yellow cards... a fight... a broken nose with blood pouring down onto the pitch... a hat-trick... so many flares lit the pitch seems shrouded in fog... and it's MY BIRTHDAY!!!
I celebrated today by watching on television the 100th DERBY DELLA LANTERNA, the bitterly, fanatically contested crosstown rivalry game between GENOA and SAMPDORIA in Italy.
Ironically enough, a pair of ARGENTINES dominated the score sheet, as Diego Milito scored a hat-trick for Genoa and Hugo Campagnaro scored the only goal for Samp in the home team's 3-1 victory.
Genoa's English name (like Samp, they are based in the port city of GENOVA) derives from their 1893 foundation by British expatriates.
I don't know why (perhaps it's their famous red-and-blue-halved shirts), but I have supported Genoa since I became aware of Italian soccer -- known as "calcio" -- as a kid.
It's only fitting, then, that the big derby is played on my birthday, on television so I could enjoy it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home