Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Champion of the misunderstood and unlucky

San Francisco Giants... Sheffield Wednesday... Cornell Woolrich... Something in my nature makes me support the unlucky, the misunderstood or the seemingly underachieving. I thought about this morning, as I listened to one of my favorite albums from my high-school days, "GOING DEAF FOR A LIVING" by FISCHER-Z. A British rock band fronted by guitarist/singer/songwriter John Watts, Fischer-Z (pronounced, in Brit style, "Fisher-Zed") released eight albums between 1979 and 1995. The band gained a certain infamy when their biggest hit, "The Worker" from 1979, actually slipped down the charts following a Top of the Pops television appearance. The band never really succeeded commercially in their native U.K.. "The Worker" peaked at No. 53, my favorite song of the band, "So Long," only managed to reach No. 72 and the later single "The Perfect Day" charted at No. 91. That latter song reached No. 12 in Australia, though, so someone somewhere liked Fischer-Z. I did, for example. I still have "Going Deaf for a Living" on vinyl. I have been listening to it on CD today and wondering why the band never really made it big. Then again, if they had made it big, it would probably go against my nature to like them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home