Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's a shame I never know how to spell "exhilarating," because this album is it!

I received "THE INCREDIBLE JIMMY SMITH AT CLUB 'BABY GRAND' WILMINGTON, DELAWARE VOL. 1" in the mail yesterday.
This morning, its EXHILARATING (spelled correctly thanks to "Check Spelling" feature) groove helped me keep my tempo up on the treadmill.
Recorded April 4, 1956, in the "jazz corner of the Delaware Valley," this album features a typically incendiary performance by JIMMY SMITH, the pioneering jazz organist. Accompanied by guitarist Thornel Schwartz and drummer Donald Bailey, Smith plays at various tempos, but really rockets on the fast solos.
"The experience of traversing these sides with Jimmy Smith, while comfortably ensconced in an armchair beside your phonograph, is comparable with the sensation of sitting behind a picture window high in a mountain-top home during an electrical storm," LEONARD FEATHER wrote in the liner notes.
As I listened, I couldn't help drawing parallels with rock's virtuoso JIMI HENDRIX.
Hearing Smith launch into an electrifying solo is a similar experience to grooving with Jimi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home