Thursday, May 14, 2009

An album that fits a memory

I have always been particularly attuned to the ways in which music intertwines with memory.
Today, I am listening to the album "SOMEWHERE BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL" by SOCIAL DISTORTION.
The band released the album in February 1992, but I will always associate it with a hot night months later -- June 5, 1992.
JILL and I were traveling west, to the West Coast, where we would reside for the next six years or so. On June 5, 1992, we drove from El Paso, Texas to PHOENIX, ARIZ., where we would remain for several days -- giving me an opportunity to show Jill the city where I spent my high school years.
We had checked into our hotel and were hungry, so I left Jill in the room and drove to a local Chinese take-out restaurant.
A
s I drove through the evening streets of Phoenix, "SOMEWHERE BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL" blared from the car stereo speakers.
I felt a rush of excitement -- the city kid finally returned to a city, the city where I had experienced so much.
Now, whenever I hear this album, I am reminded of that drive to and from the Chinese restaurant, and the feeling of being somehow back where I belong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home