Thursday, April 16, 2009

Feelin' groovy with Ted Templeman and Harpers Bizarre

I'm sitting here sippin' coffee and FEELIN' GROOVY. I'm also thinking that sometimes all a band needs to reach greatness is ONE MUSICAL GENIUS. Take HARPERS BIZARRE, the band from SANTA CRUZ, CALIF., I am enjoying as I type this post.
Their take on Simon & Garfunkel's "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" is arguably the definitive version of the 1960s classic.
Similarly, their cover of Eddie Floyd's "Knock on Wood" explored new territory for psychedelic pop.
Were they a great band? I think so. Their musicianship certainly places them in the upper tier of their peers.
So what about this supposed musical genius?
The fact that TED TEMPLEMAN sang, played drums and guitar for Harpers Bizarre should have tipped off a few people about his talents.
He later became one of the most influential record producers of the 1970s and 80s, helming recordings by the Doobie Brothers, Montrose, Little Feat and Carly Simon, among others.
Oh yeah... Templeman also convinced Warner Bros. to sign an unknown Southern California group called VAN HALEN, and Templeman produced the band's first six albums.
In retrospect, I have no qualms calling Templeman a musical genius, and listening to Harpers Bizarre this morning while feelin' groovy, I have no problems calling them great, either.