Friday, October 31, 2008

Why do I have to be a ghost again? There aren't even any holes in this sheet!

Hobgoblins!
Hobgoblins is such a fun word to write and say. I live for HALLOWEEN, just so I can sprinkle "hobgoblins" throughout my conversation.
Halloween is great because it lets us break convention by masking our identities and demanding candy from strangers.
ROUTE 1 readers celebrate that fact by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What was your favorite Halloween costume as a kid?"
ELLEN B. -- I loved being a witch!
MARY N.-P. -- I know it was lame, but your standard ol' sheet-with-cut-out-eyes ghost was easy and comfortable and good for hiding your loot. I loved it.
BEKAH P. -- I always wanted to go as a pirate or as My Little Pony, but my parents the kibosh on both. Sad.
RICK T. -- Dressed up as a hobo.
CLINT A. -- Darth Vader. Definitely Darth Vader.
MIKE M. -- When I was 8, I went trick or treating as "The Unknown Comic" from the "$1.98 Beauty Show" . . . just kidding!
JIM S. -- Still a kid at 19, I went down to the famous Madison, Wis., State Street Halloween bash as The Squeeze Box, inspired by a song by The Who. I learned about the bash at the last minute and didn't have a costume. I found a small box for my head, and cut holes for my eyes and mouth. I somehow found a large box for my body, and cut holes for my arms. My college roommate wrote "Squeeze Me" in various places on the boxes. Man, did I get a lot of hugs from the coeds -- but I couldn't feel a one!
MIKE D. -- Our mom made all of our costumes when we were kids, but for my last Halloween as a trick-or-treater, I took matters into my own hands. I found a big, cardboard box, spray-painted it silver and cut some holes for my arms and legs. I hung some gadgets from the front and added a slot as a drop box for treats. For the head of my robot, I used a gallon milk jug, added some colored plastic lenses for eyes and stuck a light bulb in the top spout.
ERIK H. -- Gene Simmons from KISS, with a red guitar my mom crafted out of cardboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home