Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Will we ever truly know world peace?

Sorry to deviate from my usual musical and movie musings, but I am troubled today.
I am beginning to think WARS will always be with us.
I am usually not this pessimistic, but Russia's conflict with Georgia makes me think wars will always be a part of the human experience. As long as humans act on greed, stubbornness, envy and the other negative aspects of our lives, I am afraid personal conflicts will always be writ large as wars.
In case you have missed it among the coverage of the Olympics, RUSSIA, with a population of 141 million and a military of 1.1 million personnel, have fought with GEORGIA (4.6 million people and 37,000 people in its armed forces). A conflict related to the breakaway Georgian republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.
I can't say who I think is right or wrong, because I think they are both wrong.
CBS Radio just reported that the fighting appears to be ending.
That might be true in this conflict.
However, I am increasingly frustrated and sorry to say: I fear fighting as a whole will never stop.
Global security researchers estimate there are AT LEAST 27 CONTINUING ARMED CONFLICTS in the world, in addition to SIX MAJOR WARS (Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Sudan, Iraq, Somalia and Georgia).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home