Saturday, August 02, 2008

The cats don't really like Fugazi

Initially, it seems like an example of particularly rich irony that billionaire investor WARREN BUFFETT and keep-it-affordable punk icon IAN MACKAYE attended the same high school -- Woodrow Wilson Senior High School in Washington, D.C.'s Tenleytown neighborhood -- nearly 40 years apart.
I've been thinking about that odd pairing while listening to FUGAZI the past couple days.
My family is away on a camping trip -- I will join them this afternoon -- so I can play music as loudly as I wish.
Fugazi sounds best at higher volumes, although the cats don't agree with my assessment.
Last night, as I cranked up the volume on the "REPEATER" album, I glanced at the cats. They kept their distance, eyes wide and wondering what all of the musical commotion was about.
I love how Fugazi took hardcore punk rock and took it in other directions, including reggae. Their approach reminds me of the MINUTEMEN, another band that stretched punk rock's acceptable boundaries.
I appreciate creativity and musical growth. Fugazi never relinquished those qualities.
Actually, substitute "musical growth" with "financial growth," and MacKaye and Buffett aren't that dissimilar after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home