Friday, August 01, 2008

Should have asked this one on Friday the 13th!

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th -- interesting but not entirely relevant to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION. Today is Friday the First, but ROUTE 1 readers are bringing up their deep-seated fears by answering the following query:
"What is your biggest phobia?"
MIKE D. -- Since I've been working on a column about spelunking this week, I'm tempted to say I'm claustrophobic. But my lifelong fear has always been public speaking. In high school, I once attempted to bribe a student teacher to avoid having to give a speech. And I somehow talked a counselor into letting me have waivers on a college speech class requirement.
ROSEANNE H. -- Putting my head under water. Totally freaks me out!
RICK T. -- Heights!
MIKE M. -- Balancing my checkbook.
ERIK H. -- A few weeks ago, I would have responded with "a fear of crowds in large spaces when it is really hot," which I believe is called "Allthatjazzinaugustaphobia," or "a fear of running out of toilet paper when all the nearby stores are closed," which I call "Twoplysheetsperrollaphobia." Now, however, my biggest phobia is being alone in the house with a barking, not-quite-house-trained puppy who is being chased by a hissing black cat with definite jealousy issues. I call this phobia: "RoryloreliestopityoutwoI'llputyoubothoutsidephobia."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home