Monday, August 04, 2008

The sun never shines when I listen to Tortoise

The last time I decided to listen to the TORTOISE album "MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE," I had to steer my car home through one of December's worst snow storms.
I grabbed the CD again today, and found myself piloting the car through the torrential downpour of a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM.
Coincidence?
It would be a shame if heavy precipitation continually accompanies my listening to this album: I really do enjoy it.
Someone once described Tortoise as USING ROCK INSTRUMENTATION TO MAKE NON-ROCK MUSIC.
On "Millions...," the music blurs the conventional genre lines. It can sound like minimalistic, modern classical music, hip hop, jazz, progressive rock and a ambient dance music -- all in the space of a few minutes.
I have to drive slowly while attempting to negotiate rain-lashed or snow-packed roads. That's OK. The slower I go, the more Tortoise I hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home