Saturday, August 09, 2008

"Bring on the Cossacks?"

I thought for certain I heard the crowd chanting "Bring on the Cossacks" during today's OLYMPIC WOMEN'S TEAM HANDBALL match between SWEDEN and HUNGARY.
I must have been mistaken: The Cossacks were always too busy sacking villages to spend much time playing handball -- particularly women's handball.
Sweden played the Hungarians close for the first half during this morning's match, but Hungary eventually pulled away for a 30-24 victory. I watched the match on NBCOlympics.com. (Check out the Web site, located here.)
I look forward to the Olympics for just this reason: I can watch sporting events that aren't always available stateside.
We were discussing the Olympics at work the other day and my coworkers had no clue about handball. I explained that the sport is much like WATER POLO WITHOUT THE WATER and that team handball is particularly popular in northern and central Europe.
I give NBC credit for broadcasting some of the so-called lesser-known sports on its Web site. I can get my once-every-four-years handball fix, with or without any Cossacks.
POST SCRIPT: Akpo Sodje scored twice before leaving injured and Marcus Tudgay also bagged a pair of goals as my beloved SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY opened the Championship season with a 4-1 home win over BURNLEY. Elsewhere, Kevin Phillips scored as BIRMINGHAM defeated SHEFFIELD UNITED, 1-0, to -- ahahahahahahaha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home