Saturday, August 23, 2008

Great arrangements from a pioneering band

Hand claps, instruments added one at a time, a mass of vocals coming in at the chorus -- "MY BEST FRIEND'S GIRL" really is one of the best-arranged pop songs I have heard.
I am listening to a GREATEST HITS compilation by THE CARS as I drive around today, a rare Saturday work day for me.
Many of the The Cars' songs were so well-arranged. That is one of my observations from close listening to Ric Ocasek and the band.
Another observation: So much current "alternative" rock music owes a vast debt to The Cars.
As I listen, I wonder if someone hearing these songs for the first time (unlikely, I know, because of their frequent appearances on classic rock radio) might mistake The Cars for The Killers with a substitute vocalist in place.
Working on a Saturday is never much fun, but at least I have the wonderful songs of The Cars to keep me company.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ned Merrill said...

The eponymous first album still amazes as just about every track is a keeper. It's not one of the biggest hits, but "Moving In Stereo" is a favorite of mine and it never fails to conjure images of Phoebe Cates for fairly obvious reasons. :-)

Always found it interesting--a tribute to the band I suppose--that the Cars along with Talking Heads were just about the only New Wave/Punk-era bands to be accepted into the "classic rock" radio pantheon.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home