Sunday, April 27, 2008

Doesn't take a genius to figure out Simone's greatness

I am sitting here sipping coffee and marveling at the jaw-dropping talent of the late NINA SIMONE.
I woke up before anyone else -- I even beat the cats out of bed -- so I started the coffee and cued up a pair of Simone albums my step-father Bob gave me. The first is variously known as "Little Girl Blue" or "Jazz as Played at an Exclusive Side Street Club." Whatever you call it, this debut album by the soul/jazz/blues singer and exemplary pianist is excellent.


It kicks off with "Mood Indigo" and just keeps getting better from there.
I can't rave enough about this album.
The second album, "A Portrait of Nina Simone," is a live date that features a 12-minute version of the Simone classic "Sinnerman."
Simone also chats with the crowd, and her banter indicates she had a wonderful sense of humor to go along with that voice for the ages.
Suitably inspired, I think I am going to lay on some BILLIE HOLIDAY next. I also think I'm going to need to brew up another pot of coffee!
Oh by the way: I made that Einstein photo at Hetemeel.com. You can make all sorts of funny photos at the site. Check it out here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home