Friday, February 29, 2008

Smiley Face need not apply

Who wants to be happy ALL the time? Not ROUTE 1 readers!
This week, they share their misery by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite sad song?"
LAURA C. -- "This Woman's Work," by Kate Bush, reduces me to a puddle every single time.
ANNIKA H. -- "Alyssa Lies" by Jason Michael Carroll.
MIKE D. -- When my first girlfriend broke up with me, I compiled a whole cassette of songs about heartbreak that I would play over and over, as therapy I guess. But one song that didn't make the list is a classic from the 1970s. "Alone Again (Naturally)" by Gilbert O'Sullivan is a painfully good song.
SCOUT S. -- "This is a Fire Door Never Leave Open" (by The Weakerthans).
INGER H. -- "Without Even Trying" by Firecracker. This song kills me every time. It's so wistful and defeated.
ELLEN B. -- "Wind Beneath My Wings."
RICK T. -- "He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. All others need not apply! The GREATEST Country song, by the GREATEST Country singer.
MIKE M. -- "Freight Train" by Elizabeth Cotton, written at age 11 more than 100 years ago.
BRIAN C. -- Two songs with nearly identical themes -- a chance reunion with a former lover -- come to mind: Dan Fogelberg's "Same Auld Lang Syne" and Harry Chapin's "Taxi."
MARY N.-P. -- "The Ballad of High Noon" sung by Frankie Laine -- a real old-fashioned heart-yanker.
ERIK H. -- Frank Sinatra recorded "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry" at least three times, including on his 1958 classic album "Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely." Actually, I prefer Sinatra's July 1946 recording of the Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn song, with a great arrangement by Axel Stordahl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Everyday Matheson said...

I must have missed this one!

Mine is

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol.

Oh, and what is your T-shirt size?

:)

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home