Thursday, February 28, 2008

If I listen real close and squint my eyes at the sun

I have been listening to KING SUNNY ADÉ's landmark 1982 album "JUJU MUSIC" today while driving to a couple interviews.
There is certainly nothing even remotely "winter" about this great album and the bubbly, infectious Nigerian dance music it contains.
The album's release in America almost certainly kick-started the "World Music" craze, a musical development that now means you can go to a record store and find albums from Africa, India, South America and other far-flung places in amongst the output of various failed "American Idol" contestants.
Beyond its historical significance, however, "Juju Music" is just flat-out fun to hear.
I especially love how Adé's band incorporated steel guitar into the mix. Hearing a sound I usually associate with country music in this unaccustomed setting is so refreshing!
It's almost enough to make me forget the current temperature is only 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Almost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home