Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"That's a very nice hat you're wearing... and I don't mean that in an Eddie Haskell kind of way"

Jill and I just watched Cameron Crowe's "Singles" on DVD.
It is one of my favorite films of the 1990s, for a whole host of reasons.
The writing is spectacular, with Crowe doling out memorable line after memorable line.
Janet: "So I'm not an Amazon woman?"
Steve: "You're from the high plains, Janet."
I also love the cameos -- Tim Burton as a video dating director, Eric Stoltz as the talkative mime, members of Pearl Jam as Cliff's bandmates, Xavier McDaniel as himself and even Crowe as an interviewer (blame it on Hitchcock: I am a sucker for director cameos).
The cast is great, too. Campbell Scott is probably still "George C. Scott's son" to most people, but I think he does an excellent job heading this ensemble cast. Kyra Sedgwick and Bridget Fonda are fine, too, but Matt Dillon nearly steals the whole picture as rockin' doofus Cliff.
And I don't mean that in an Eddie Haskell kind of way.