Saturday, September 01, 2007

"...and it belongs, to everyone but us..."

"It's called love, love, love, love, love, love."
Annika and I listened to New Order's "Thieves Like Us" en route to Anamosa, Iowa, to pick my niece (Annika's cousin) Gabrielle.
As I listened to the song, I couldn't help but think about the turbulence that has struck this most venerable of the post-punk bands.
Bassist Peter Hook threatened to take band mates Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris to court, following their announced plans to continue as New Order without him.
The band is no stranger to moments of animosity among the members, but when Hook announced the Manchester group's split earlier this year, it really did seem like the end of the era.
New Order emerged out of Joy Division, following the death of iconic vocalist Ian Curtis, and the band's career path has influenced countless other bands.
Arguably, New Order proved that indie bands could weld smart rock to dance beats, and they made that musical marriage work in wonderful ways.
They may have finally parted ways now, however, which makes me sad and a bit nostalgic.
New Order are one of those bands that have provided very specific memories for me. I can recall, for example, the exact moment I first heard the 1986 single "Shellshock." I was sitting in my college dorm room, heard the opening notes of the tune, and I said to myself:
"They have done it again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home