Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Not much "idle" in these moments

I drove Kerstin to her second day of middle school this morning -- a trip more harrowing than I could have imagined.
I had to peer through the sun's glare while negotiating a rabbit's warren of steep narrow streets populated by parked cars and onrushing school buses.
Ironic, then, that the song oozing from the car stereo was the title track to Grant Green's "Idle Moments" album.
Vincent DeMasi wrote of the album in "Guitar Player" magazine in 2006:
"Not only Green's finest session, but also one of the hottest small-group dates of the hard-bop era. On the languid, 15-minute title track, Green is the paradigm of taste and restraint. Then, he cranks it up a notch for the exploratory whole-tone and modal sections of 'Nomad.'"
I was anything but the "paradigm of taste and restraint" later in the day, when I discovered I had made a stupid journalistic mistake in misspelling a person's name. I yelled at myself in language unfit for any moments, idle or otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home