Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity... but at least my neck feels better

My sore neck feels much better today, following a regimen of hot baths, regular Tylenol use and bed rest.
I find staying in bed all day to be interminably boring. Yesterday, I tried to occupy my day by listening to my iPod (that only helped a little), sleeping (turning over in bed made my neck hurt like hell) and reading H. P. Lovecraft.
I read "The Shunned House," one of the best haunted house-type stories I have come across.
Then, I began re-reading "The Call of Cthulhu," one of Lovecraft's best-known works.
The story's theme is summed up in one of the opening passages, within the writings of narrator Francis Wayland Thurston:
"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."
Lovecraft meant to convey the vast, unknowable majority of the universe and that the moments when man goes too far in uncovering some of the truths about the universe often lead to big trouble.
It's a theme Lovecraft returned to throughout his stories.
I'll finish re-reading this famous story today, happy at least that I can finally turn my head without yelping in pain!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home