Friday, August 24, 2007

Read any good books lately?

ROUTE 1 readers, alarmed that a quarter of Americans have no need for bookmarks, provide some evidence of R.I.F. by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"Read any good books lately?"
Mike M. -- Doris Kearns Goodwin, "Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln," 2005. Also, Victor Klemperer, "I Will Bear Witness: A Diary of the Nazi Years," 1942-45.
Lisa Y. -- "Dinner With a Perfect Stranger" by David Gregory. A man receives an invitation to dinner with Jesus, which he thinks is a hoax. He goes, despite making his wife mad about being gone again, and what he learns is interesting... It's a quick read and teaches about various religions.
Rick T. -- Chicago Magazine! Gotta keep up with the BIG city.
Mary N.-P. -- I'm reading one now and I'm almost finished (but I don't want it to end). "The Tender Bar" is a wonderful memoir, and more, about a boy growing up without a father's presence and his search for that male presence in his life, particularly in the regular (and very irregular) patrons of a N.Y. bar. Author J. R. Moehringer got a scholarship to Yale, worked at the N.Y. Times, had a fellowship at Harvard and is an incredibly fun, fresh writer. The book is a paean to words and writing -- I give it 4 stars out of 4.
Brian C. -- "Burying the Black Sox," by Gene Carney. Not necessarily a "good" book -- I had no problem putting it down -- but an in-depth look at a topic of interest to me: baseball officialdom's attempt to cover up the Black Sox Scandal of the 1919 World Series.
Roseanne H. -- "Eating Heaven" by Jennie Shortridge. It is about a food writer who lives in Seattle. It is funny, sad, sensual and hopeful. A great read. In fact, I chose it for my book club members who are coming for dinner Wednesday night to discuss the book.
Erik H. -- Every time I finish a story in "Tales of H. P. Lovecraft," edited by Joyce Carol Oates, I feel a vague unease, as if I was remembering scattered details of a horrifying dream. And that's a good thing with horror story writers!
Last night, I read Lovecraft's story "The Colour out of Space." The premise -- a substance within a meteorite poisons the crops, livestock and ultimately people of a farm -- seemed eerily similar to some of the recently history's worst ecological disasters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home