Friday, August 31, 2007

This FRIDAY QUESTION is soooo junior high school

ROUTE 1 staff assistant (and interior design consultant) Kerstin entered junior high school this week. Readers gave her a warm welcome by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What music did you like in junior high school?"
Laura C. -- I had a big poster of dreamy Andy Gibb on my wall, and I liked
everything from Queen to KISS to Todd Rundgren, but the music I loved best was by Elton John...from Madman Across the Water to Honkey Chateau to Caribou and Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy. In my seventh-grade year he appeared in the movie Tommy as the Pinball Wizard, and in my mind that glittering, glammy vision far eclipsed (and almost made up for) the perky duet with Kiki Dee that same year. Unfortunately, the theatrics ultimately seemed to become more important than the music, and by the '80s he'd lost the magic, as far as I was concerned. Sad. But hey... we'll always have "Rocket Man" and "Levon," and I've got to thank him for that.
Lisa Y. -- Michael Jackson baby!
Rick T. -- Country music, and of course, Elvis.
Ellen B. -- Wham, "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go."
Diane H. -- I remember loving the Stray Cats and Wham. In fact, the first cassette I ever owned was Wham! Make if Big, which I received for Christmas when I was in the sixth or seventh grade. Back when I thought George Michael was dreamy.
Jim S. -- I don't respond too often, but I thought Kerstin might like some oldies among the respondents. When I was in junior high school, some of my favorite songs were "American Pie," by Don McLean; "Maggie May," by Rod Stewart; "Heart of Gold," by Neil Young; and, of course, that all-time fun classic, "Brand New Key," by Melanie.
Mary N.-P. -- It was almost all novelty songs -- "Wolverton Mountain," "Ahab the Arab" (and all of Ray Stevens' comic songs), "Yellow Polka Dot Bikini," "Purple People-Eater." I had no love life, so all that romantic stuff didn't resonate with me.
Inger H. -- Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, oh, the list goes on. Is there a name for it when the music you listened to as a young teen starts getting played on the "lite rock" stations? Oh yeah. I guess it means I'm a grup.
Mike M. -- Ah, junior high! My height of geekdom -- before geeks were cool! Prince, Billy Joel, Queen, Electric Light Orchestra, Elton John, Styx, Bee Gees. And let's not forget John Denver, Anne Murray, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture!
Brian C. -- My years in junior high, 1966-68, spanned a great time in rock and pop music. Where to begin? British Invasion, Summer of Love, Sgt. Pepper's and such varied hits as "Harper Valley PTA" and "Ballad of the Green Berets."
Mike D. -- I remember our eighth-grade religion teacher, Fr. Ralph, asking us what our favorite song was. The only one I could think of at the time was The Eagles' "Hotel California," because my sister had just gotten the album.
Erik H. -- Like a lot of life, my junior high years were a time of transition musically as well. I gradually left behind my KISS eight-tracks and started following the far-off, excitingly exotic sounds of the Sex Pistols, the Ramones and the Damned.
This week, I was reminded of a song that really resonated with me during my junior high school years. My dad had purchased an album for me back then, Led Zeppelin's "Presence," and my favorite song on it was "Nobody's Fault But Mine."
This week, I heard the Blind Willie Johnson original of "It's Nobody's Fault But Mine," and I couldn't help but think about junior high school.
Here is the music junior-high school student Kerstin has been enjoying this week:
"I have been listening to girl groups, I guess, if you count 'Hollaback Girl' and 'Leader of the Pack.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home