Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Baby, Please Don't Go"

I only have one song by BIG JOE WILLIAMS on iTunes, but it's a real classic.
"Baby, Please Don't Go" is one of the seminal blues tunes, covered by countless artists, including AC/DC, Aerosmith, Paul Butterfield, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Al Kooper, Van Morrison, Paul Revere & The Raiders and Muddy Waters.
Big Joe himself recorded at least two versions of this classic song, that concerns a man pleading with his woman to come back.
I have the 1945 version -- recorded 10 years after the first. In this later version, Williams' sparse Delta style is fleshed out by additional musicians such as Sonny Boy Williamson II (Aleck "Rice" Miller) on harmonica.
I am listening to "Baby, Please Don't Go" and other blues classics this morning, as I wait for the sun to break through the overcast and as I prepare for another night shift at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home