Friday, September 22, 2006

FRIDAY QUESTION: What is your favorite album cover?

Mike D. -- Even if there weren't good songs on the album, which there are ("Any Way You Want It," "Good Morning Girl/Stay Awhile"), Journey's "Departure" is worth owning just for the cover art. It's suitable for framing.


Brian C. -- "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." I was only 12 in the Summer of '67, when the album was released, and I didn't know all the celebrities depicted posing with the Beatles. But the cover was nearly as interesting as the music inside.
However, for an adolescent boy in the mid-1960s, nothing beat Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream & Other Delights." (See it here.)


Scout S. -- The Replacements' "Let it Be."

Mike M. -- "Hot Women Singers From the Torrid Regions of the World." Compiled by R. Crumb, cover art by R. Crumb.

Dave B. -- Triumph's "Never Surrender." The first time I saw this album cover as a 16-year-old Motorhead wannabe, I could not get over how cool it looked. The eyes, there is something about the eyes. I thought this album cover was so cool, I painted it on my bedroom wall against my parents' wishes. Kelly, my little sister, would not enter my room for fear that the eyes would do something bad to her.


Kerstin H. -- Keith Urban's "Golden Road." I just like looking at his face!

Madelin F. -- My favorite album cover is a painting by Edward Hopper used by Bruce Hornsby on his album which he entitled "Harbor Lights." The name of the Hopper painting is "Rooms by the Sea." Funny thing is, it was the album cover which led me to Hopper's art. Now, I am a fan of both. I have the "Rooms by the Sea" print in my home.

Steve M. -- Savoy Brown's "Looking In."

Bob H. -- Jefferson Airplane's 1967 "After Bathing at Baxter's" epitomizes the psychedelic musical scene of San Francisco near the end of its golden musical decade.

Cindy D. -- KISS' "Destroyer." I have always been fascinated with the KISS "Destroyer" album cover. Probably because I have a 200-piece jigsaw puzzle of the same image, dating back to 1976, when I was 8. After seeing KISS perform in 1996, I bought a T-shirt with the same artwork on it.

Erik H. -- The painting on the cover of New Order's 1983 breakthrough album "Power, Corruption and Lies" was made by French artist Henri Fantin-Latour. Factory Records art director used a color-coded alphabet to spell out the band's name and the album title with colors, rather than words. I love how the album cover hints at the beauty of the album without giving away ANY particulars. Intrigued by the cover? You'll have to listen to unlock the mystery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home