Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Comfort music for uncomfortable times

"Topsy turvy" best sums up my week thus far.
I had to work on Sunday and I have had to work night shifts yesterday and today. My altered routine means I don't see the kids before they go to school and I haven't been able to tuck them in at night, either.
So my schedule has me feeling all out of sorts -- somewhat disengaged from reality.
That's where songs such as "Time Brings About Changes" comes in. I listened to it today for the first time in ages. It was released as a single by an OAKLAND (birthplace alert!) band called the Numonics in 1980, but most people who heard it probably listened to "Rollin'," the band's 1982 album.
The song is seven minutes of old-school, sweet-soul music featuring this type of lyric:
"Time, brings about changes, and I wish I could pick up where I left off with you."
The song begins, however, with this lengthy, spoken-word intro in which the band members celebrate being back home in Oakland after being gone for so long.
It's one of the most comforting songs I know, providing a sort of balm for my usual comfort level, damaged by the jagged alteration of my schedule.
Oh yeah... Did I mention I also have to go to the dentist today? Bring on more Numonics!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home