Monday, September 11, 2006

I will do all I can to be worthy

What should I listen to on the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks?
I was never in doubt.
I listened to John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" while walking on the treadmill just now, and I will listen to it as I drive to work this morning, too.
I was never going to listen to those country music songs recorded after the attacks. Few of those songs turned to God for help. Most turned to hatred to fuel a rage.
Coltrane turns to God for an entire album. That's the connection I need to make on this day.
Ashley Kahn, in his remarkable book, "A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album," writes of Coltrane's poem included in the liner notes to the 1965 classic recording:
"Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' delivers a litany of devotional oaths (to God) and spiritual counsel (to the reader)."
The music on the album serves the same purpose, and that is the type of message I needed on the 9/11 anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home