Sunday, September 17, 2006

Rumbles, Rockers and Rebels

In an example of perfect synchronicity, I am reading Lawrence Frascella and Al Weisel's "Live Fast, Die Young: The Wild Ride of Making 'Rebel Without a Cause,'" I am listening to my 1950s-early 1960s rock-n-roll playlists on the iPod (I just heard Chuck Berry's "Sweet Little Sixteen" followed by one of my all-time favorites, Johnny Burnette's "You're Sixteen") and I watched the aforementioned "Rebel Without a Cause" on DVD with the girls last night.
All three mediums -- book, music and film -- give a sense of how exciting and frightening it must have been for the teenagers of the 1950s.
The girls, not surprisingly, loved the wardrobes present in "Rebel." They loved the girls' sweaters and capris and the boys' rolled jeans and white T-shirts with jackets.
I have to work today, and I plan to continue listening to the early rock-n-roll classics as I drive around, walk to collect information from the police reports and as I head for home tonight. It will be fun to immerse myself in the turbulent (for good and bad) times of a half century ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home