Monday, July 31, 2006

Nothing like a little disgusted rage at a magazine list to fire up the ol' blogger

I just made the mistake of perusing Paste Magazine's list of the 100 Best Living Songwriters.
Reading such a list was only ever going to lead to tears... of rage.
Speaking of... I have no problem with Bob Dylan topping the list.
However, I could go on and on about Paul McCartney listed at No. 5 or Randy Newman (No. 11) ranked higher than Holland-Dozier-Holland (No. 17... that's not racism, it's stupidity) or even that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards couldn't even crack the Top 10 (at No. 12, they even fell shy of Randy Newman!).
But I will save those battles for other pissed off, blogging music lovers.
Nope. My rage primarily concerns one man.
Brent Dey describes XTC (Andy Partridge, songwriter No. 64) as "the most underrated and underappreciated band since The Kinks." Then, a few pages later, his magazine lists Kinks leader Ray Davies as the 41st best living songwriter.
What? Are they being ironic? Am I dyslexic?
They meant it?
To put this laughable ranking in perspective, it is a mere six spots ahead of Sufjan Stevens, who although a promising talent has produced just a handful of albums, and 17 spots behind 24th-ranked Jeff Tweedy.
Don't get me wrong... I adore Uncle Tupelo and I think Wilco is a great band.
Just let me know when Tweedy writes as good a song as "Waterloo Sunset," OK?
It's not like I don't appreciate current indie music. In fact, I thought Mountain Goats' main (only?) man John Darnielle was seriously underrated at his measly No. 82 in the ranking. In fact, I think Tweedy himself would feel a little ashamed at his higher-than-Davies ranking.
I just think people who rank bands/songs/songwriters/etc. often try to lend credence to their hip credentials by overly lavishing praise on the present. Or they have REALLY short attention spans.
Either way, I will endlessly/tirelessly/boorishly champion Ray Davies as among the greatest of songwriters. Living or dead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home