Friday, April 21, 2006

Swingin' back toward the Sixties

Route 1 travels to San Francisco next week. The trip marks the date in 1966 when we came into this world. Before the FRIDAY QUESTION takes a two-week hiatus, it poses this query: What song always makes you think of the SWINGIN' SIXTIES?
Ellen B. -- I was born in the early 70s, so I had to Google for a song and this is what I came up with... John Fred & His Playboy Band... "Judy in Disguise (With Glasses)."
Brian C. -- Probably "Fun Fun Fun" by the Beach Boys.
Dave B. -- "What's New Pussycat?" by Tom Jones.
Mike D. -- Nothing says the Swinging 60s like Nancy Sinatra's fashionable "These Boots Were Made for Walking." I believe it topped the charts in 1966, the same year our blog host appeared on the scene.
Diane H. -- For some reason, "One Mint Julep" by Ray Charles seems like the epitome of a swinging 60s song to me. Is it even a 60s song? I'm not sure. But it just makes me think of cocktail lounges and drinking... well, mint juleps.
Rick T. -- I like the song "Are You Going to San Francisco?" "Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."
Erik H. -- Sir Douglas Quintet's "She's About a Mover" has an appealing, swinging quality to it. There is an organ riff that just makes me do the swim every time I hear it. I also love how boys from Texas were trying to rock like lads from London -- with a singer trying to sound like Ray Charles! -- back in 1965.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home