Thursday, April 13, 2006

El Enmascarado de Plata

You never know what gems you might find on the Internet.
This week I was looking for yakuza-eiga posters -- Japanese gangster movies are my new obsession -- on various vintage-film-image Web sites when I discovered a treasure trove of movie images from Mexico.
The Hollywood Animation Archive Project has several galleries of Mexican lobby cards, located here.
I love the Santo poster shown here: Masked Mexican wrestlers with guns... what more could you ask for?
Actually, a vibrant cult surrounds the Santo films, which featured the exploits of Rodolfo Guzman Huerta. A review of Santo's films can be found here, while an essay on his life and death can be found here.
After I exhaust my obsessional fixation on yakuza-eiga (info here), I might have to turn my fickle attention to Santo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home