Sunday, April 02, 2006

Mock... yeah! ing... yeah! bird...

Yeah!
I have just been listening to the Inez and Charlie Foxx 1963 classic
"Mockingbird" while reading the Sunday Times Illustrated History of Football -- two endeavors guaranteed to bring a smile to my face and a warm glow in my heart.
I was inspired to pick up my favorite book by this weekend's exploits of tiny Gretna F.C.
The small club from the Scottish Borders region entered the Scottish Football League in 2002 and have already won the Second Division title to secure their second successve promotion.
On Saturday, April Fool's Day of all days, Gretna shocked Dundee, 3-0, to become the first Second Division club to reach the Scottish Cup Final since Scotland introduced a third tier of clubs in 1975/76.
This afternoon, I read about Scottish football in the 1960s -- when the Borderers were still languishing in obscurity of non-league Scottish football.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home