Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Oak Grove by the Sweathouse

A person can move thousands of miles but one place remains the same -- the place they were born.
This year marks my 40th birthday, so I am taking time out this week to celebrate my birthplace, "the oak grove by the sweathouse."
Oakland, Calif. was originally called Ensinal de Temescals -- "the oak grove by the sweathouse" -- as the area featured numerous temescals, the sweathouses the Native American inhabitants used in their ritual purification rites.
Temescal Park, located near the junction of highways 24 and 13, serves as a reminder of Oakland's origins.
I was born in Oakland on May 3, 1966.
This week, I will celebrate my birthplace during ROUTE 1's OAKLAND WEEK.
Join in the fun! Read a Jack London book! Quote Gertrude Stein ("there's no there there")! Listen to Tower of Power! Create your own Black Panther Party!
Go wild... it's OAKLAND WEEK!

1 Comments:

Blogger inger said...

http://www.oaklandish.org/

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home