Monday, May 09, 2005

Rainy day music

I would never even consider listening to Sunny Day Real Estate on an actual sunny day.
The legendary emo pioneers (1993-95, then 1997-2000) have been forever linked in my mind to rainy days -- the darker and gloomier the better.
Perhaps it's understandable, what with Jeremy Enigk singing lines like "lost myself when pain from your heart left it's trace/in written words held like a seam I have no hand to heal," from the song "The Blankets Were the Stairs" from their debut album "Diary."
Still, I am sure some people listen to SDRE when the sun shines on a 75-degree day. I cannot, because:
1. The band hailed from rain capital Seattle (their albums were the second-highest sellers on the Sub Pop label, after Nirvana's initial, indie efforts).
2. I have always listened to SDRE on a rainy day, so over time it just felt natural to slap "How it Feels to be Something On" or "LP2 (the 'pink album')" into the CD player when it poured outside.
Today's weather forecast calls for storms. I have already brought my SDRE tapes out to the car. Let it rain. I have the music to accompany the showers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home