Thursday, April 28, 2005

I took a page out of my rule book for you


Pop music lends itself to the pursuit of perfection.
Some (Brian Wilson) have been driven to the edge of madness pursuing perfect pop. The rest of us can just sit back and enjoy the fruits of their efforts.
I am hesitant to name a perfect pop song, although if pressed, I might have to agree with the late John Peel.
Ask me to name a perfect pop album, however, and I hardly hesitate: "Cupid & Psyche 85" by Scritti Politti.
Those with an aversion to synthesizers and androgyny should turn back now.
Have they left? Good.
Lushly and unabashedly romantic, "Cupid & Psyche 85" belongs on a high plateau somewhere. The songs glide along with an uncanny ease and Green Gartside's delicate voice remains nothing short of majestic on each and every track.
Ironic, then, that Scritti Politti began life as a rag-tag, post-punk band of post-art school squatters.
Gartside formed Scritti Politti in 1977 in Leeds. The next year, their debut single "Skank Bloc Bologna" arrived via Rough Trade. It is amazingly unlike later Scritti Politti efforts: It almost sounds like Green Gartside backed by The Fall or the Gang of Four. A bass carries the melody while a monotonously scratchy guitar nearly obliterates Gartside's vocals.
Gartside collapsed on an early tour of the post-punk version of Scritti Politti. He returned from his recuperation in a new guise and the 1981 single "The Sweetest Girl" reveals a growing interest in dub reggae and -- more to the point -- pop perfection.
The Rough Guide to Rock describes his 1985 effort, "Cupid & Psyche," as "sharp as a diamond" and true to form, it shines like a greatest hits package.
Most Americans probably remember "Perfect Way," a song good enough to be covered later by Miles Davis. (Miles later repaid Scritti Politti, providing a beautiful trumpet solo on "Oh Patti" from the 1988 album "Provision.")
My introduction to the songs of "Cupid & Psyche" occurred in the summer of 1984.
I was listening to KQAK, San Francisco's legendary (and lamentably deceased) alternative radio station "The Quake," when a distinctive, herky-jerky clanking kicked off "Wood Beez," the first single off the album. It sounded like nothing I had ever heard before. I was hooked.
Masterful songs like "Hypnotize," "The Word Girl" and "Absolute" fill out "Cupid & Psyche," a 20-year-old (gosh!), sparkling album that has yet to dim for me.
Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see someone else cherishes this album as much as I do. It doesn't sound like any of the other music I listen to, but I still crank up the volume when "Wood Beez," "Absolute" or "Perfect Way" comes on the radio (which isn't very often unfortunately). Moe (you might know me from AOTM)

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home